Rio Perdido Environmental Programs
Certification for Sustainable Tourism– Elite Level
Rio Perdido has been awarded Elite Level certification, the highest level possible, in the Sustainable Tourism Certificate program (CST), a program of the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT). The program is a result of the public and private sector’s collaborative efforts to recognize tourism companies for their sustainable tourism practices.
To achieve this certification, Hotel Rio Perdido underwent a comprehensive evaluation to ensure that our business model is based on the best sustainable tourism practices –the sound management and impact of the natural, cultural, and social resources of the country.
With this certification, Rio Perdido is committed to:
● Avoid gas emissions and environmental damage caused by pollution and other chemicals
● Take action to manage, conserve and protect wildlife
● Manage waste in a way that will not cause a negative impact on the environment
● Consume products that are natural, biodegradable and, when possible, recyclable
● Create a program for saving water and electricity throughout the premises
● Invite guests to not only experience Costa Rica’s natural wealth, but to also protect it
● Meet standards related to the environment, archeological heritage, and security
● Hire and train members of the surrounding communities
● Promote traditions and customs of Costa Rica, including our food culture and artisanal crafts
Ecologic Blue Flag Program - Watershed Category Certificate and Climate Change Category Candidate
Rio Perdido has been awarded The Ecologic Blue Flag – Watershed Category with five stars, the highest rating possible, an award given annually to recognize the effort and voluntary work of organizations that are helping to protect both the environmental and social landscapes of Costa Rica. Rio Perdido must meet several objectives in the conservation, restoration and protection of the watersheds found at Hotel Rio Perdido, to be considered for the award.
The Blue Flag program is a driving force behind the healthy communities and vibrant ecosystems that make up Costa Rica, and we are proud to contribute to this effort.
Co-Signer of The Code of Conduct
Rio Perdido is a co-signer of The Code of Conduct, a program that seeks to end the sexual exploitation of children in travel and tourism. Through staff training, we support The Code’s mission to provide awareness, tools and support to the travel and tourism industry to keep children safe.
Licensed By Essential Costa Rica
Rio Perdido is an official representative of Essential Costa Rica, a government association that represents the country at an international level. To earn this affiliation, Rio Perdido had to undergo a comprehensive evaluation to ensure that our operations are guided by the five values of Costa Rica: Excellence, Sustainability, Social Progress, Innovation, and Costa Rican Rooting.
Carbon Neutral Certification
Rio Perdido is a certified carbon neutral company under INTE B5:2016 regulation, an initiative developed by Costa Rica’s Climate Change Directorate of the Ministry of Environment and Energy. Through this certification program, we have pledged to take action to reduce, remove and offset Greenhouse Gas emissions (GHG) and strengthen decarbonization.
Rio Perdido is a certified carbon neutral company under the INTE B5:2016 regulation and is part of the country program of carbon neutrality 2.0 of Costa Rica, developed by the Climate Change Directorate of the Ministry of Environment.
In Alliance with Tourism—Local Development Engine
Rio Perdido is proud to be a part of Tourism – Local Development Engine, a multi-institutional effort to leverage the power of tourism as an engine for rural development through sustainable, local purchasing of agricultural products.
Our goal is to improve the lives of farming communities and those employed in the tourism industry by identifying market opportunities for sustainable agriculture products for the tourism sector.
Key activities of this project include:
● Mapping tourist regions with the potential to become local markets
● Selecting value chains and performing inventory of current providers
● Strengthening business capacities among providers
● Facilitating access to financial resources
● Encouraging the demand for local and sustainable products among tourism companies and signing sustainable supply contracts
● Promoting the tourist participation to generate demand
The Tu-Modelo project is the result of a public-private alliance between Fundecooperación, the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) and the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (MAG), local tourism associations, institutions, and partners of the private sector.